Tern Cargo Accessory Guide
The possibilities are almost endless on what you can carry with a Tern cargo bike! Read on to find the best way to configure your bike for carrying, kids, groceries, pets and more.
Cargo bikes are a great way to carry kids both big and small, but you can also carry another adult with the right accessories. Two things to keep in mind when carrying passengers on your Tern cargo bike:
- Stay within the weight limits (especially important when carrying a grownup!) of your rear rack and the bike max gross vehicle weight.
- Make sure to always include not just seating but also handhold, foot and leg protection and also foot support for your passenger(s).
- If carrying children we highly recommend a sturdy kickstand and lockstand extensions for your kickstand for extra stability while loading and unloading.
The Storm Box options will protect from the waist down of your passengers and the Storm Shields will create a weather protected tent up top.
Each Tern bike platform will have different weight limits, please refer to Tern's product information for your bike.
Here are a few passenger carrying ideas using the GSD platform
Tern has a growing ecosystem of racks, panniers, bags and baskets to carry whatever you need with confidence. A few things to remember when hauling are:
- Stay within the weight limits on your front and rear racks and the bike max gross vehicle weight.
- Riding a bike loaded up with heavy cargo can feel different from just riding a bicycle. You will need to brake sooner and more gently than you may be used to, it's a good idea to practice in a less-trafficked area.
- Rear racks can carry more weight than the front, load your heaviest items on the rear rack.
- Load your panniers and baskets with the heaviest items on the bottom to keep a low center of gravity for easy handling.