The First Pedal 44 is the first in our new and improved frame range. It is the perfect, great value bike for 4 to 5 year olds with an average inside leg of 44cm
One of the biggest temptations is to buy a bike your child will 'grow into'. However, this is likely to have the opposite effect and put your child off bikes and cycling altogether! This new frame has a longer steerer tube which includes a 10mm spacer ontop of the stem. This allows room to move the handlebars into a higher position as they grow.
Another common mistake is to purchase a budget bike but these models are often as heavy as the child and leads to tears and frustration at not being able to cycle. Our lightweight bikes are a great confidence booster and can also be used as a balance bike for a taller child by removing the pedals.
Wheel Size: 16" inch
Why buy a Frog 44?
- Lightweight but sturdy frame making the bike easy to manoeuvre for your child and easy for you to carry
- Tektro brakes with small, easy to reach brake levers. Better control means improved confidence for young riders
- Patented Frog cranks for easier pedalling reduces the distance between the pedals increasing efficiency and comfort
- Free 5 year warranty on frame and forks
In contrast to many kids' bikes, Frog bikes are sized by the leg length rather than age, as this is the most reliable way of getting the right size of bike for each child. Age alone isn’t a reliable measure as there is a large spread of “normal” leg lengths & heights for each age.
We recommend taking the time to measure the rider’s inside leg - it’s easy to do:
- Stand the child in socks against a wall
- Place a small book between their legs, as high as is comfortable
- Ask the child to move away and measure from the top of the book to the floor.
Once you have measured the inside leg, use the table below to find the right size of bike for your child. Please note we give the AVERAGE inside leg length for each bike, with the saddle at its lowest setting (please be aware there is tolerance on each side of this).
At this height, the child will safely and comfortably be able to get their feet on the ground. Don’t worry - Frog Bikes have long seat posts, so the saddle can be raised a long way as the rider grows.